Ingredients (preparation time 10 minutes, serves 48)
Pomegranate-Red Wine Syrup:
- 2 c red wine
- ¾ c pomegranate molasses
- ½ c. broth of your choosing (chicken, beef, vegetable, or any other kind of broth are all fine)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/8 t cayenne pepper
- 1/8 t ground nutmeg
- 1/8 t ground cinnamon
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t ground black pepper
- ½ c white sugar
- 1 T butter
- 48 mini stroopwafels
- 5 oz. (or ½ c.) duck liver mousse (can substitute chicken liver mousse, pork pâté, vegetable pâté, etc.)
- ¼ c crème fraîche
- 1 large bunch basil
- Pomegranate-Red Wine Syrup
Pomegranate-Red Wine Syrup
- Heat a medium-sized sauce pan on medium-high heat.
- Add red wine, pomegranate molasses, broth, bay leaves, garlic, cayenne pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and pepper to the sauce pan; mix well.
- Turn heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
- After simmering for 15-17 minutes, add the sugar and mix well.
- After another 8 minutes, add the butter and whisk continuously for 2-3 minutes.
- The syrup will cook for about 25-28 minutes, and should reduce to about 1½ cups
- Once finished, remove from heat and transfer to a squeeze bottle for easy storage and application. Can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- Remove the leaves from your basil bunch, and layer them inside each other.
- Starting from the stem end, roll the leaves tightly, then slice the roll into then sections.
- When you unroll the slices, they should open up into long thin strips.
- Repeat as necessary (it’s easier not to try to do it all at once).
- If you’ve been keeping your syrup in the fridge, microwave it briefly to loosen it up, or place it in warm water to bring it to room temperature.
- Each canapé is built from the bottom up in the following order:
- ½ t duck liver mousse
- ¼ t crème fraiche
- ~¼ t pomegranate-red wine syrup (you can do as much or as little as you like, but be careful not to go overboard as you may end up with over-saturated stroopwafels)
- 3-4 strips basil
- Serve as an appetizer